Best NJ online casinos for August 2020
All of our in-depth reviews of New Jersey online casino sites, including bonus codes and instructions for claiming sign-up bonuses, can be found below.
- Our Editor's choice for best NJ casinos
- Best Features
- Deposit Methods
- # of Slot Games
OUR FAVORITE CASINO1$10Welcome Bonus
- $10 No Deposit Bonus
- 100% up to $1,500
- Over 500 games
- Deposit Options
- 631 Games
- PLAY NOW
- $25 No Deposit Bonus
- $100 Cashback
- High quality casino software
- Deposit Options
- 241 Games
- PLAY NOW
Online casinos in NJ
Here is a list of real money NJ casinos that are certified legal by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement. Each NJ online casino has a unique selection of online slots, games and bonus offers.
|NJ Online Casinos||Casino Games||Free Bonus||Bonus Code||Play|
|1.||Golden Nugget||631||$10||PLAYBONUS||PLAY NOW|
|5.||BetMGM Casino||412||$25||PLAYNJFREE||PLAY NOW|
|7.||Betfair||396||NA||None needed||PLAY NOW|
|8.||DraftKings Casino||87||$35||None Needed||PLAY NOW|
|9.||Borgata Online||250||$20||PLAYNJ||PLAY NOW|
|10.||Unibet Casino||289||$10||UBCASINO10||PLAY NOW|
Best NJ online sports betting sites for August 2020
- Our Editor's choice for best NJ sportsbooks
- Best Features
- Deposit Methods
OUR FAVORITE SPORTSBOOK1$25 Free
Just For JoiningWelcome Bonus
- $25 Free Just For Joining
- 20% up to $500 on deposit
- Up To $200 Risk Free Bet
- T&Cs apply
- Deposit Options
- PLAY NOW
Risk Free BetWelcome Bonus
- Place Your First Bet
- Up To $500 Refund If You Lose
- New Accounts Only
- Deposit Options
- PLAY NOW
Online sportsbooks in NJ
Here is our top list of online sportsbooks and sites in New Jersey. Each site is certified legal by the DGE.
|NJ Sportsbook||Mobile App||Free Bet||Bonus Code||Play|
|1.||DraftKings Sportsbook||Yes||$25||None needed||PLAY NOW|
|2.||BetMGM Sportsbook||Yes||$25||PLAYBONUS||PLAY NOW|
|3.||FanDuel Sportsbook||Yes||$500||None needed||PLAY NOW|
|4.||Fox Bet||Yes||$500||None needed||PLAY NOW|
|5.||PointsBet Sportsbook||Yes||$100||PLAYNJ||PLAY NOW|
|6.||SugarHouse Sportsbook||Yes||NA||PLAY250||PLAY NOW|
Best NJ poker sites for August 2020
- Our Editor's choice for best NJ Poker Rooms
- Best Features
OUR FAVORITE POKER ROOM1$30Welcome Bonus
- $30 Bonus
- Exclusive Spin N Go
- Largest site
- Deposit Options
- PLAY NOW
- Exclusive $10 Bonus
- Largest NJ Poker Site
- Paypal Accepted
- Deposit Options
- PLAY NOW
NJ online poker site reviews
Online poker is a smaller industry compared to casinos and sportsbooks, but it still garners attention. Here is our list of best online poker sites in NJ.
|NJ Online Poker Sites||Cash Game Traffic||Sit & Go Tourneys?||Free Play Offer||Play|
|2.||WSOP Poker||High||A few||$10||PLAY NOW|
|3.||888 Poker||High||Yes||$20||PLAY NOW|
|5.||BetMGM Poker||Low||Yes||$25||PLAY NOW|
Who operates the legal online casino sites in New Jersey?
Online poker and casinos are legal in New Jersey, as long as they’re offered by sites that hold a license from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE). The DGE also regulates all games.
How do you open a legal online casino in New Jersey? Here’s how it works:
- Primary licenses to operate legal online gambling websites in NJ are limited to Atlantic City casinos.
- Each casino is then allowed to operate up to five unique online casino brands, which is why you’ll see some legal online casino sites in New Jersey – like Betfair or Virgin – that aren’t Atlantic City casinos.
- Sports betting works differently, as both Atlantic City casinos and New Jersey racetracks can operate online sportsbooks. Each is limited to operating a maximum of three brands online.
So how do the partnerships in the NJ online casino market break down? We’ve detailed which sites are partnered with which Atlantic City casinos below.
Borgata online casinos
Borgata is the most profitable casino in Atlantic City. Its software provider is GVC, the parent company of international online gambling brands Party, Ladbrokes, and bwin (to name a few).
In terms of cash game players, Borgata and PartyPoker are two skins on the largest New Jersey poker network. Pala Casino, which is a tribal interactive company based in California, offers a casino platform. Pala Interactive also has a poker room that operates on a separate network. The PlayMGM online casino launched in late 2017 (and rebranded as BetMGM in 2019), while PartyCasino launched in March 2018.
MGM now fully owns Borgata. Previously, MGM and Boyd co-owned the property. MGM also offers an online casino that is powered by the same software as the Borgata online casino and a poker site that uses the same software and shares a player pool with Borgata.
- Pala online casino review
- Pala Poker review
- PartyCasino review
- PartyPoker review
- BetMGM poker review
- BetMGM casino review
- Borgata online casino
- Borgata online poker
- Scores Casino
Caesars online casino sites
Caesars Entertainment partnered with 888 for poker and casino. The two sites operate under the Bally’s and Caesars’ licenses in Atlantic City. These brands include WSOP.com, Harrah’s Casino, Caesars Casino and 888. WSOP.com and 888 share a poker network, but now also share player pools with Nevada and Delaware. 888 powers both sites.
It’s worth noting that different software powers the Caesars online casino and the Harrah’s online casino, meaning you’ll find much different games and offers at each despite the fact that both are Caesars brands.
- 888 online casino review
- Harrah’s Casino online review
- Caesars online casino review
- 888 Poker review
- WSOP NJ review
Golden Nugget casinos online
Golden Nugget is a small casino on the marina, but it carries a big stick in terms of online casino revenue.
Golden Nugget is the highest grossing New Jersey online gambling platform to date. Golden Nugget spreads a variety of more than 600 games from multiple distributors. Golden Nugget is partners with Betfair, who was forced to bail on Trump Plaza when it folded in 2014, and SugarHouse, which has a land-based and online casino in Pennsylvania.
Most recently, Golden Nugget also struck up a partnership with Churchill Downs Interactive. That partnership allowed the company to launch the BetAmerica online casino website in NJ.
- Golden Nugget Casino online review
- Betfair Casino review
- SugarHouse online casino review
- BetAmerica online casino
Hard Rock AC gambling sites
Hard Rock Atlantic City replaced the former Trump Taj Mahal, opening its doors in June 2018. It initially featured just one online casino under its license – the Hard Rock online casino. Its site is powered by GiG, which separates it from some other casino sites in New Jersey, as no other brand is currently using that casino platform.
In 2019, two more casinos were opened under the Hard Rock license: Unibet and Bet365.
Ocean Casino Resort online casinos
Another reborn casino in Atlantic City, Ocean Resort opened alongside Hard Rock in June 2018. It replaced the former Revel. It has two online casinos using its license in NJ. Both are powered by GAN.
- Ocean Resort online casino review
- Parx Casino NJ
Resorts online gambling
Mohegan Sun manages Resorts in Atlantic City. Both operate online casinos but do not have poker at this time. PokerStars joined the Resorts interactive license in 2016 and offers both online casino and poker games.
In 2018, Resorts extended their sprots betting partnership with DraftKings to include an online casino partnership. The DraftKings online casino has been one of the more successful NJ online casinos to launch in recent years.
- Resorts online casino review
- Mohegan Sun online casino review
- PokerStars New Jersey review
- DraftKings Casino review
Tropicana online casino websites
Tropicana partnered with Gamesys. The two licensed New Jersey online casinos operate under the brands Tropicana and Virgin Casino.
Are NJ’s legal online casinos safe? Are the games fair?
The Division of Gaming Enforcement regulates online gaming sites. This is the same department under the state’s attorney general office that regulates all Atlantic City casinos.
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement is one of the most experienced casino regulators in the world. Its strict oversight is displayed in the fact there have been no major issues with any New Jersey site. Every player received winnings. This includes a $1.52 million Let it Ride winner at Betfair.
There is also proof that security at the sites is top notch. A player attempted to defraud a site out of $10,000, according to the Division of Gaming Enforcement. She was arrested after claiming her identity and credit card were stolen. Geolocation software pinpointed the transactions occurring at her address, according to law enforcement.
6 facts about NJ online casino security:
- New Jersey online gaming sites must hold all player balances in a separate account from operating funds.
- Players must pass a verification process that ensures they are who they say they are.
- This also prevents minors from gaining access to real money online gaming.
- Problem gamblers may opt out of the sites through a simple process.
- Geolocation software ensures players are within the state at the time of action.
- All deposits and withdrawals are processed through a secured site. Regulated New Jersey sites use the same encryption as banks.
What kind of bonuses can I get at an online casino in New Jersey?
New Jersey has a very competitive market for online casino play. The result of that competition is that players win, because every operator is basically fighting for the online casino play of a relatively small number of consumers.
Read on for additional answers regarding how bonuses work at the online casino sites in New Jersey.
What no deposit bonuses are available at NJ online casinos?
No deposit bonuses, where a casino gives you a small amount of money to try out their site, are very common in New Jersey. Over a dozen sites currently offer some kind of free money bonus that doesn’t require you to make a deposit. View the full list in the table above.
Some important notes about no deposit bonuses at NJ casino sites:
- Typically, these bonuses range from $5 to $30.
- No deposit bonuses are only available to new players.
- There are typically some terms and conditions attached to these offers, usually designed to stop you from simply cashing out the money.
What kind of deposit bonuses or match bonuses can I get at NJ online casino sites?
Once you’re ready to make a deposit at a legal casino site, you’ll be able to claim an additional bonus. Online casinos will usually match some part of your first deposit, giving you bonus money that you can play with. It’s a great way to stretch your gambling dollar when playing online.
- Deposit bonuses are all over the map, ranging from a maximum of $100 to a maximum of $2,500. Offers are always changing.
- But the bonus amount is only part of the story. You also need to check the terms and conditions, because not every casino treats bonus money in the same way.
- Some online casinos will require you to gambling significant amounts of money before you can “unlock” your bonus, which can have a serious impact on how valuable the bonus is to you.
How do I use NJ online casino bonus codes?
As you look into playing online at casinos in New Jersey, you’ll start to come across bonus codes or promo codes. So how do these work, and why should you care?
- Get better bonuses: Bonus and promo codes at NJ online casinos can often unlock exclusive offers. For example, using our bonus codes at casinos like Virgin give you access to a larger no deposit bonus than the standard offer.
- Easy to use: Check any of our reviews or the table above for our list of bonus codes. All you have to do is enter the code when you’re creating your account.
- No cost to you: Using a bonus code or promo code at an NJ casino online is all upside. Best case, you’ll get an exclusive bonus. But you’ll never get a worse bonus because you used a bonus code. As a result, there’s no reason not to use a bonus code when you’re signing up online at a New Jersey casino.
How do I get money on and off of legal casino sites in New Jersey?
Gamblers are, by nature, impatient. When making deposits and withdrawals become too much of a hassle, players will be inclined not to bother.
Initially, New Jersey players were having a tough time using their credit cards to fund their accounts. However, Mastercard is now approving 70% of all transactions, and Visa about 62%. Players can also use their PayPal account.
The issue: Some banks don’t want their cards used for regulated online casino transactions. Once you find out if your bank is ok with it, you’ll always be able to use that card to make a deposit at a legal NJ online casino site.
You also have several other options for making deposits or withdrawals at New Jersey’s regulated gambling sites:
- Bank transfer
- Prepaid card
- Cash via PayNearMe at 7-11
- Cash via the cage at an Atlantic City casino
What kinds of games can I play at NJ online casino sites?
Here are five interesting facts about the gambling games available online at NJ’s legal sites:
- Better payback: The typical online casino site in NJ offers games with better payback rates than the typical Atlantic City casino. A great example is blackjack, where you’ll find far more favorable rules at online casinos than at an average casino in AC.
- Lower minimums: The typical online casino offers games with far lower minimum bets than what you’ll find at Atlantic City. You can play roulette for change, slots for pennies, and other games for very small minimum bets. But the minimum bets at Atlantic City casinos are much higher, especially on busy nights. That makes online casinos in New Jersey perfect for people who want to stretch their gambling dollar further.
- Fair games: Slots and other table games at NJ casino websites are tested and regulated the exact same way that games on the floor of an Atlantic City casino are regulated. In many cases they are the same exact game when you think about how many slots at the casino are video slots.
- Greater variety: The largest online casinos in New Jersey offer over 600 different slot games, all available within a couple of clicks. You can also play over a dozen types of blackjack and several dozen types of video poker games.
- Live dealer games: Online casino games also come in a unique format called “live dealer” where you play a game online that is dealt by a live dealer in a studio or a game that’s being broadcast live from the floor of the casino itself. For many players, this is the best of both worlds, as it marries the ease of online with the environment of the live casino.
Can I play at NJ’s legal casino sites on my mobile phone or tablet?
The short answer is yes – all operators in the NJ online gambling market do offer some kind of mobile option. Read on for additional answers to commonly asked questions about mobile online casino play in New Jersey.
Most NJ online casino operators have dedicated iOS apps, meaning you can easily play your favorite casino games via any iPhone or iPad simply by downloading the app from the App Store.
You’ll have access to hundreds of different games across almost two dozen sites via the iOS apps available at New Jersey’s licensed online gambling sites.
Yes. Because of how Android handles online gambling apps, you may have to take an extra step to installing the apps for the casinos you play online from New Jersey. But after that, you’ll be able to play games for free or for real-money at New Jersey’s long list of regulated casino sites.
Typically, a mobile version of an online casino in New Jersey will have fewer games than its desktop counterpart. This happens for a few reasons.
First, some games work better on mobile than others. Second, users actually want fewer choices at a mobile casino as it can be overhwelming to navigate otherwise. Finally, there simply aren’t mobile versions of every single game, especially when it comes to online slots.
Yes. Many of the online casino brands in the New Jersey market allow players to try games via a free version. You might not be able to play every single game, but you’ll be able to sample enough to get a sense of whether or not you like a casino.
Don’t forget – you can also get bonuses at nearly all of the casinos online in New Jersey that allow you to play for real money without having to make a deposit.
No. Your standard account is good for play on both the desktop and mobile versions of a NJ online casino. You’ll use the same login information for both, and your funds can be used to play on either the desktop or mobile site.
How do NJ’s legal gambling sites make money?
- Online casino games account for about 95% of total revenue, with online poker accounting for the remaining 5%.
- On the casino side, approximately 70% of the revenue comes from slots, compared to 30% from table games.
- Just like in the Atlantic City land-based casinos, the online casinos have consistently offered many more slot games than table games. When new games are introduced online, they are much more likely to be a slot game.
- Furthermore, slot play earns comp points at a much faster rate than table games, and the wagering requirements to clear bonuses are much lower for slots than for table games (and sometimes table games don’t count at all). Accordingly, there is less incentive for many players to try the latter.
- Interestingly, the games at NJ’s legal online casinos tend to pay back at better rates than the games at Atlantic City casinos. This reflects the increased competition among online casino sites, where consumers can easily jump from site to site.
How does the state of New Jersey make money from legal online casino games?
New Jersey makes money from online gambling the same way that the state makes money from casinos in Atlantic City: by taxing operators on the revenue they generate from online casino play.
The effective tax in New Jersey for online casino and poker revenue is 17.5%.
So how much does NJ actually make from regulated online casino websites? The typical monthly take across all online casinos in New Jersey is right around $35 million a month, so let’s round it to about $400 million a year.
That means New Jersey is taking in 17.5% on that total revenue every year, or roughly $70 million in tax revenue a year. The state also charges license fees and some other fees, but those fees go toward covering the costs of regulating online slots and other casino games.
How is online gambling in New Jersey impacting Atlantic City casinos?
According to Stephen Sweeney, president of the New Jersey State Senate and a keynote speaker at the East Coast Gaming Congress & iGaming Institute, “Atlantic City is on the rebound.”
Another speaking at the conference, Luisa Woods, executive director of online and internet marketing at Tropicana Atlantic City, said that previously inactive players or players who had never come to the property in Atlantic City are now coming due to their online and mobile gambling.
And at the Golden Nugget Atlantic City, according to Vice President of Online Gambling Thomas Winter, 80% of those who play at the Golden Nugget Online Casino are also coming to the Atlantic City casino, where play has increased 20% as a direct result.
Overall, Atlantic City has seen total revenue increase since the addition of online gambling, a welcome turnaround for an industry that suffered a nearly decade-long decline starting in the 2000s.