Mohegan Sun launched in July 2015 as a sister site to Resorts online casino. It operates under the same license and is powered by the same software package.
But the differences between these two NJ-facing operators go beyond visuals and branding. Each site offers a different welcome package and promotions. Mohegan Sun’s land-based partner is Resorts Casino Hotel in Atlantic City – the same brick-and-mortar establishment that brought PokerStars to the regulated New Jersey iGaming market.
Mohegan Sun’s New Jersey market share rivals that of Tropicana, Borgata, and Golden Nugget. With a solid selection of games from some of the best developers in the industry, it can be considered one of the most reliable online casinos currently available to gambling enthusiasts living in the Garden State.
Mohegan Sun bonus code
New players at Mohegan Sun who use our Mohegan Sun online casino bonus code get two bonuses:
- First, you get $20 with no deposit required. This free play – and any winnings from the free play – can be cashed out when you have wagered 5x the bonus amount on slots or 25x the amount of the bonus on video poker, table games, and roulette. That’s one of the best no deposit offers in the market considering the games you can play to clear the bonus.
- Second, you’ll get the 100% matched deposit bonus, which allows you to claim up to $1,000. Bonus funds will be credited to your account as soon as your payment goes through. But keep in mind that you’ll have to complete a 20x playthrough requirement before it becomes possible to initiate a withdrawal. Table games and video poker contribute towards clearing the bonus at 1:5 ratio. This means that every $5 wagered on the aforementioned games is equal to $1 wagered on slots as far as completing the wagering requirement is concerned.
Last verified: Jan. 2, 2018
Game Fairness & Security
With an incredibly dense stable of NJ online casino games and software provided by an award-winning developer, Mohegan Sun has earned its reputation in the regulated New Jersey online gambling market. Not to mention, the site is associated with Atlantic City's oldest brand, Resorts Casino. The lack of a no deposit bonus and a dearth of short-term promotions are negatives, but the site is well-worth a look for its extensive game choices alone.
Breaking down the value of the opening bonuses
First Deposit Bonus (Mohegan)
- Percent value:
- Max value:
- Min. Deposit
- Expires in (days):
- does not expire
Cost of releasing $1 playing slots:
|Slot RTP||Cost||Cashback value|
Cost of releasing $1 playing non-slots:
|Game type||Lowest RTP||Highest RTP|
|Paid to casino||Cashback||Paid to casino||Cashback|
Bonus break-even RTP cut-off:
|Game type||RTP cut-off|
Maximum bonus value at highest RTP:
|Game type||Maximum value|
Mohegan Sun has an extensive game library that’s packed with games designed by some of the most talented people in the industry. The no deposit bonus is one of the best in the market. The first deposit bonus is slightly better than the average bonuses offered by NJ-facing sites. Yet it doesn’t give you as much value as similar promotions offered by playMGM or Golden Nugget.
The loyalty program is also above average, although the limited-time promotions aren’t all that impressive. All in all, Mohegan Sun doesn’t excel in any particular category, but in this case the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.
Registration at MoheganSunCasino.com
In order to play at Mohegan Sun, you’ll have to complete the following steps:
- Sign up for a casino account and fill out the form. You’ll need to provide your personal information including name and address.
- Wait for account verification. The casino staff might ask you for a government-issued ID.
- Install the GeoComply geo-location plugin, which will be downloaded automatically as soon as you launch a real-money game.
You have to be at least 21 years of age to gamble at a New Jersey online gambling site. You also have to be located within the borders of the state in order to play at Mohegan Sun, or any other NJ-facing regulated casino site. Please note that if you leave New Jersey in the middle of a gaming session, your connection will be terminated automatically.
Mohegan Sun casino software
Mohegan Sun is powered by NYX Gaming’s award-winning OGS software. OGS is compatible with over 2,000 casino games designed by numerous third-party developers, including industry powerhouses such as Aristocrat Gaming, IGT, NetEnt, and Williams Interactive.
Not all of those games are currently available to patrons, but it’s worth noting that the casino’s owners will have plenty of titles to choose from should they decide to expand their selection. The OGS package has been designed with browser play in mind. This is typical for modern casino sites and means that no download is necessary.
Mohegan Sun isn’t the only NJ-facing online casino that runs on OGS. Its sister site, Resorts Casino, is also powered by NYX’s package. The differences between both sites are mostly aesthetic. The color palette is different and some visual elements have a different design. In the end, though, the layout and game selection are virtually identical.
OGS software has a different interface for mobile and desktop devices. In addition, the casino offers a dedicated mobile app for both iOS and Android devices. The apps can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store and Google Play stores.
Mohegan Sun online casino games
As mentioned above, not every OGS-compatible casino game is available at Mohegan Sun, but what games are accessible are absolutely top-notch. You’ll get to play the same games that are spread by top-notch Europe-facing casinos.
What’s more, the casino’s access to leading software developers means that its list of the available titles is frequently updated. In 2017, Mohegan Sun added several slots that were barely a few months old, such as Siberian Storm, Spartacus: Call to Arms, and Gods of Fortune.
Overall, the casino boasts more than 440 games, putting it right up there with the likes of Caesars and Golden Nugget in terms of game variety.
Available blackjack games include:
- Micro Limit Blackjack
- Atlantic City Blackjack
- Blackjack (IGT)
- Blackjack (NetEnt)
- Vegas Blackjack
The rules for IGT/NetEnt Blackjack are very similar. Doubling down on any two cards and after splitting is permitted. Surrender is allowed. The dealer stands on hard 17s and hitting a blackjack results in a 3:2 payout.
Both are played with six decks, while Micro Limit Blackjack and Vegas Blackjack are played with eight and four decks, respectively. All blackjack games decks are reshuffled at the end of each hand.
Atlantic City Blackjack is different, as the game is played with a single deck and is available in three stake variants: micro, low limit, and high limit.
Roulette is available in both American and European variants. The complete list of roulette games includes:
- American Roulette
- Double Bonus Spin Roulette
- European Roulette
- European Roulette (NetEnt)
- Roulette Master
- Roulette (IGT)
- Classic Roulette
- 3 Wheel Roulette
We recommend sticking with NetEnt’s version of European Roulette. The game is rated slightly higher than the other variants. Plus, the lack of the 00 (double zero) field, which appears exclusively in American Roulette, significantly decreases the house edge.
Mohegan Sun spreads 19 high-quality video poker games. These include:
- Aces & Faces Power Poker
- 100 Hand All American
- Tens or Better
- Triple Play Draw Poker
- Five Play Draw Poker
- Plus several variations of Jacks or Better, Bonus Poker, Regal Poker, and Deuces Wild
As of December 2017, Mohegan Sun’s selection of slots includes over 410 titles. Most of them are modern 5-reel video slots with multiple paylines and multiple extra features, including Wilds, scatter symbols, and bonus rounds.
As mentioned above, Mohegan’s list of games is frequently updated with the latest releases. So even if you manage to play everything that Mohegan Sun has to offer, you’re essentially guaranteed new titles within the space of a couple of weeks.
Here’s a list of the top 10 highest-rated Mohegan Sun slots:
- Bloodsuckers II
- Vampires vs Werewolves
- Fortunes of the Dead
- Super Jackpot Party
- Slingo Riches
- Legend of the Pharaoh
- Serengeti Diamonds
- The Royal Promise
- Miss Kitty
Recently, Mohegan Sun added a new type of games to its repertoire. Called Slingo games, they combine certain features of bingo with video slot gameplay. In a Slingo game, typical slot symbols are replaced by two-digit numbers. Below these numbers is a single reel, which spins 11 items. If your numbers from the column above match the numbers on the reel, they will be marked. Once the reel stops spinning, you’ll get a payout determined by the number of lines you’ve managed to hit.
All Slingo games are listed in the same category as standard slots.
Mohegan Sun Elevate Rewards
Elevate Rewards is the name of Mohegan Sun’s level-based loyalty program. Earn Elevate Points (EPs) to increase your level. These are awarded for playing real money games on the site. As is often the case, you’ll accumulate more EPs while wagering on high volatility games, such as slots.
Here’s how much money you have to bet on specific games to get one EP:
- Slots: $1
- Blackjack and video poker: $4
- Roulette: $8
EPs can be redeemed for cash, but keep in mind that the exchange rate will depend on your loyalty level. The more EPs you’ve accumulated each month, the higher your account level. Unlike some other casinos, such as Pala, Mohegan Sun essentially forces you to continue betting in order to maintain your VIP status.
This structure makes this program considerably less rewarding for occasional gamblers.
Here’s a list of loyalty levels, complete with the number of EPs you have to accumulate in order to reach them and the number of EPs required to receive $1 of cashback.
- Storm: Free – 4,000 EPs for $1 cash
- Thunder: 1,000 EPs – 2,500 EPs for $1 cash
- Lightning: 5,000 EPs – $1,000 EPs for $1 cash
- Spark: 20,000 EPs – 606 EPs for $1 cash
- Flash: 50,000 EPs – 500 EPs for $1 cash
- Flare: 150,000 EPs – 400 EPs for $1 cash
- Wildfire: 400,000 EPs – 200 EPs for $1 cash
- Heat: 1,000,000 EPs – 167 EPs for $1 cash
- Blaze: 2,000,000 EPs – 133 EPs for $1 cash
This translates to between 0.025 percent (Storm) and 0.75 percent (Blaze) cashback for slots players and considerably less for blackjack / video poker and roulette players. This makes Mohegan Sun’s program only worth recommending if you’re a hardcore gambler who places at least a few hundred thousand dollars worth of bets every month. Casual players should definitely look elsewhere.
VIP program evaluation
VIP program cashback (Mohegan)
- Points expiration:
- Points exchanged for:
- 180 days
Wagers required to earn one Elevate Point:
Monthly wagers required to reach new account levels:
Elevate points-to-cash exchange rate per one dollar:
Reward points-to-cash exchange rate per one dollar
Wagers required to generate $1 in bonus cash:
Cashback as a return on wagers:
Cashback as a return on net losses:
|Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.||Lowest RTP.||Highest RTP.|
Other Mohegan Sun casino promotions
Mohegan Sun falls squarely in the middle of the pack when it comes to limited-time promotions. The site’s bonuses are certainly better than those offered by Betfair, SugarHouse, or Caesars Casino, but don’t compare all that well with the likes of Harrah’s, Virgin Casino, Tropicana, or playMGM.
Overall, Mohegan Sun’s short-term promotions can definitely give you plenty of additional bang for your buck. For example, in late 2017 the casino staged weekly $1,500 giveaways that awarded random NJ online casino bonuses to active players. It also gave every paying customer a chance to win a $3,000,000 jackpot each day.
The only reason why Mohegan Sun isn’t up there with Tropicana and Virgin is that it does not add new promotions frequently enough. Usually, it’s just one good offer per month. This frequency doesn’t impress when several NJ-facing casinos offer new bonuses on a weekly basis.
Banking at Mohegan Sun
Like most NJ-facing regulated iGaming sites, Mohegan Sun supports a wide range of cashiering options.
- Instant eChecks – No delays, but there’s a chance your deposit will bounce back. If this does happen, you’ll have to cover all NSF fees.
- PayPal – Simple and hassle-free.
- MoheganSunCard – A prepaid card that can be topped off using your bank account or Visa/MasterCard/Discover card.
- Online bank transfer – High limits, but the list of accepted banks is limited.
- PayNearMe – Make a deposit at your local 7-Eleven.
- Visa/MasterCard – Low fees, high chance that your payment will be declined.
- Resorts Casino cage – If you’re planning a trip to Resorts Casino Hotel, this option is quick and safe. Please bring a valid ID.
- Instant eChecks – Once your eCheck deposit clears, you’ll be able to request an eCheck withdrawal.
- PayPal – You have to make a PayPal deposit first.
- MoheganSunCard – Quick and easy. You can use your prepaid card to shop in any venue that accepts Discover cards.
- Resorts Casino Cage – Quick and easy, as long as you don’t mind the trip.
Mohegan Sun customer support
Mohegan Sun has an extensive Help Center section, which really is just a fancy name for frequently asked questions. The number of issues the site covers there is impressive. Some answers could be more detailed, however, especially those concerning deposits and withdrawals.
When in doubt, players can reach 24/7 live support using the following methods:
- Chat support – Click the Chat icon in the lower right corner of the casino page.
- Via email – Mail [email protected] In most cases, you should expect a response within a couple of hours tops.
- By phone – 1-800-407-9167 (toll-free).
Mohegan Sun updates December 2018
Mohegan Sun has been very consistent with monthly additions to their gaming library, and November was no exception. Sixteen new titles were added, which helped to make up for the loss of a few dozen games, which was either due to the expiration of a content license or just purging underperforming slots.
Among the new titles are:
- Ghost Pirates: Looking very much like a movie poster for Pirates of the Caribbean, Ghost Pirates takes place out on the open ocean on a haunted pirate ship. The game offers 243 ways to win, Wilds, Multipliers, a Free Spins bonus round, and characters like One-Eyed Ed, Peggy Rotten, Polly the parrot, and Mad Monkey.
- Kingdom’s Edge: This fantasy slot features a Wild Gold King and Wild Silver King, along with 4 heroes: male warrior, female warrior, dwarf warrior (reminiscent of Gimli in Lord of the Rings), and a witch/sorceress. The game includes two bonus features: Rally the Troops and Defend the Gates, both of which offer free spins and one other special feature.
- Snow Monkeys: With 720 ways to win and a max payout of $988,800 possible, this could just land you almost a million bucks. The game takes place on a reel floating in a Japanese hot spring, a favorite place for that country’s snow monkeys. Symbols include 3 different snow monkeys (including an adorable baby) and 5 types of flower, as well as your Wild, Scatter, and Free Games symbols. The Free Games symbol appearing in any position on all 5 reels will trigger the Free Games Bonus. You’ll get 8 free games on a different reelset. Free games can be retriggered up to 240 games.
NetEnt’s Big Holiday Giveaway is happening how and promises $200,000 in cash giveaways over the course of three weeks. Every time you wager a minimum of $20 on a specified holiday-themed game, you’ll receive 1 entry ticket for the week. During the first week (December 1-9), the prize is $30k, shared among 1,210 players; week two (December 10-16) awards $70k, shared among 1,638 players; and the final week (December 17-23) will hand out $100k, shared among 3,000 players, with the top prize being $5,000.
Eligible games include:
- Flowers Christmas Edition
- Fruit Shop Christmas Edition
- Secrets of Christmas
- The Legend of Shangri-La: Cluster Pays